Wednesday, January 4, 2012

inspirational read


My wonderful brother-in-law and his wife gave this book to me on Christmas Day. They were moved by the book and thought Kevin and I might like to read it. Let me just say...once I started reading it, I couldn't put in down (although I had to in order to carry out other responsibilities). 

A few chapters into the book, I spoke with my sister-in-law and asked her how she heard of the book. It was God's hand at work.......while the children were attending REP (religious education program) after church, the parents had an hour or more to do something, they would go out to breakfast or just sit and visit. One of the parents found Matthew Kelly's book among other books on a shelf at the church and began reading it. He was so moved that he had to share it with the other parents. Eventually, they formed a study group and would discuss each chapter of this wonderful and enlightening book....even if the kids didn't have REP, they would still meet after church.

They also discovered that this book, Rediscover Catholicism, could be purchased in large quantities for the low price of $2 or $3 per book. Knowing the financial stress of their own parish, a few of the families pooled their money and bought 250 books. They didn't want to just "hand them out" for fear that people would never read it.....you know how we unfortunately take things that are free for granted. So they decided to wrap them up as gifts and on each book they attached a tag writing their own words  how this book has inspired them in their faith and proceeded to give them free of charge to fellow parishioners. Isn't that remarkable?!?!??!

I finished the book in just over a week.....which is REALLY good for me. As much as I love to read, I rarely make time for it. However, I just couldn't get enough (and this book has inspired me to read more.....it is just the first of many spiritual books I intend to read in 2012) Each chapter was better than the last and I was moved to tears more that a few times. I can just tell you that if you are Catholic, this is a must read. If you are not Catholic, you should still read it! There is something for every one of us amongst these pages.  It explains many misunderstandings about Catholicism but it is more than just that......it will inspire you to become "the-best-version-of-yourself" by seeking the will of God. This book is full of inspirational stories and gives concrete examples of how to be more spiritual.

My dear in-laws sent us two more of these books and I plan to give one to Fr. George and our REP coordinator. My hope and prayer is that after Fr. reads this book, he will find a way for our parish to purchase these books and give one to all Holy Rosary parishioners. Great things are happening..........

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book. I have read Rick Warrens books and they are on the similar line and really makes you take a look at what you do with your life.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be on the search for this book ! I was born and raised Catholic but Hubby was not...I did not raise my children Catholic, a Mistake I regret horribly... I am feeling the "tug" to return,,,and would like to know how to teach my adult children more about the Catholic faith..
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Robin
    Bird In The Hand Primitives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased this book after reading about it on your website. I am about half way through reading it. Thank you, just what my heart needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments, ladies! I hope this book inspires everyone that reads it in the way that it inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete