Tuesday, December 27, 2011

more inspiration from zig


ambition + perserverence + determination = a better you



Walking or Jogging for Health

By Zig Ziglar


In 1972, I weighed well over 200 pounds and my career was moving ahead very, very slowly.  I decided I needed to do something about my weight and my health but, frankly, I didn’t realize that career and family benefits would also come my way.  I started jogging and eating sensibly, and though it took me about nine months to really get enthusiastic about my lifestyle change, results began to show within the first month.  The weight started dropping, my endurance and energy levels increased and, finally, after over nine months, the enjoyment breakthrough came.
I was in Portland, Oregon, jogging on Portland State University Campus.  It was “high noon” and I had a seminar to conduct later that day.  As I was jogging, it suddenly occurred to me that I was actually enjoying myself.  It was fun.  I was breathing easily and literally enjoying every step of my run. 
That day I changed my vocabulary.  For years I’d been telling people with passion in my voice that you had to “pay the price” if you were going to be successful.  Today I tell people, “You don’t pay the price for success—you pay the price for failure.  You enjoy the benefits of success.  You don’t pay the price to build a good marriage; you enjoy the benefits of that good marriage.  You don’t pay the price for good health; you enjoy the benefits of good health.”
It’s amazing what the change in vocabulary can do for the enjoyment of what you do.  When I was in my 70’s my doctor, Dr. Ken Cooper, switched me from jogging to walking, I walked at a very brisk pace and, have maintained my weight and my energy level is unusually high.  My resting heart rate is 48, my cholesterol level is 152, and my blood pressure is 126 over 62.  That’s the reason I am convinced beyond any doubt that you really do enjoy the benefits of taking care of yourself.   Think about it.  Take care of you, and I’ll SEE YOU AT THE TOP! 

1 comment: