Wednesday, January 2, 2013

happy new year


I always get excited this time of year. For me, it is a time of reflection and planning. I take time to looking back over the past year to see what goals were met (and which ones weren't met). Make new plans and set new goals. I have a very clear vision for 2013 and, just as important, I have deadlines set in place in order to make sure I reach my goals. 

I recently read a book by John L. Mason called "An Enemy Called Average". It is an inspiring book but one of the chapters really relates to the beginning of the new year. Here are a list of questions I have taken from his book that we all should be asking ourselves:

1.   What one decision would I make if I knew that it would not fail?
2.   What one thing should I eliminate from my life because it holds me back from reaching my full potential?
3.   Am I on the path of something absolutely marvelous, or something absolutely mediocre?
4.   If everyone in the USA were on my level of spirituality, would there be a revival in the land?
5.   Does the devil know who I am?
6.   Am I running from something or to something?
7.   What can I do to make better use of my time?
8.   Would I recognize Jesus if I met Him on the street?
9.   Who do I need to forgive?
10. What is my favorite scripture for myself, my family and my career?
11. What impossible thing am I believing and planning for?
12. What is my most prevailing thought?
13. What good thing have I previously committed myself to do that I have quit doing?
14. Of the people I respect most, what is it about them that earns my respect?
15. What would a truly creative person do in my situation?
16. What outside influences are causing me to be better.....or worse?
17. Can I lead anyone else to Christ?
18. In what areas do I need improvement in terms of personal development?
19. What gifts, talents or strengths do I have?
20. What is the one thing that I can do for someone else who has no opportunity to repay me?

These are some pretty heavy questions...but something I think is important. Take one question a day and reflect on it. Start a journal and next January, re-read what you wrote and see how you have changed. These are just some ideas floating around in my head. I know every one of us has unlimited potential....we just need to tap into it and believe in ourselves but also take action....make things happen!!

I would like to write a post once a week based on each one of these questions....any thoughts??

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
WISHING YOU A PROSPEROUS, HEALTHY
AND JOYFUL 2013

6 comments:

  1. PERFECT post! Awesome attitude~ my favorite scripture has been the same for years and with each new year has an even stronger pull on my heart, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9
    I have painted it, sketched it, tried to run ahead of Him... was thankful when He pushed me a bit faster than I was going and continue to pray for His plan.
    Happy New Year, Sweet Friend! Thank you for the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Love that scripture! Thanks for sharing it. It is so true that He guides us along the path....it is us that gets off track once in a while. Are you going to Atlanta this year?

      Delete
  2. Wow! Those are deep! I think you should do a post once a week on it. I need to bookmark this page. I journal as part of my devotions, and I would like to do this with you. I think one a week I could handle so that I can put thought into them! Thank you for this challenge and encouragement! I am excited!

    I hope that you have a wonderful 2013 also!!!

    Blessings,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I will meet this challenge with a weekly post :)

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of a journal and reflecting on these questions. I may just have to do this! Would you recommend reading the book in addition to the questions you have supplied here? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would recommend reading the entire book. It is an easy read....instead of chapters, he calls them "nuggets" because they are short....but full of wisdom. I bought mine used on Amazon.

      Delete