Tuesday, November 1, 2011

who knew???

Tomorrow is National Deviled Egg Day!!!!

photo from www.incredibleegg.org

So while making my after-workout-omelette this morning, I was watching the Rachel Ray show and she mentioned that November 2nd is National Deviled Egg Day...much to my surprise and delight!! Everyone in our house absolutely adores deviled eggs. I can remember growing up, my brother and I would dang near come to blows over the last deviled egg!!

So I want to start by sharing a tip from the RR show about how to boil the perfect egg EVERY time...so she claims. If you are like me, I would make deviled eggs more often if they peeled nice n' easy. Can't wait to try this tomorrow. Put the eggs in cold water, slowly bring to a roaring boil. Remove pot of eggs from heat, cover and let sit for exactly 10 minutes (set a timer!). Then drain the hot water and shake the pot a bit to crack the shells before putting cold water in the pot (this is the part that must do it, because I never heard of it and it make sense). She said the cold water will get inside the shell and help them to peel better. So there you have it!!

I also took a little time to look up a yummy deviled egg recipe for you to try if you want something different......tbh (acronym for "to be honest"....I'm learning from the young ones in my life) I don't know if I will do all the eggs like this tomorrow because my boys LOVE the way I prepare them and sometimes don't welcome change.


BACON & CHEDDAR DEVILED EGGS

What You Need

14 HARD-BOILED EGGS
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/4 cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (1 oz.)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives OR green onion tops

Here's How
  1. CUT eggs lengthwise in half. REMOVE yolks to medium bowl. RESERVE 24 white halves. Finely CHOP remaining 4 white halves.
  2. MASH yolks with fork. ADD mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice and pepper; mix well. ADD chopped egg whites, bacon, cheese and chives; mix well.
  3. SPOON 1 heaping Tbsp. yolk mixture into each reserved egg white half. REFRIGERATE to blend flavors.

(recipe from incredible edible egg website)

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. I always put mine right into cold water and keep the cold water running on them, then when the water warms, I put more cold, that seems to do the trick. I have heard ice water will do it too.

    I love deviled eggs too, but limited with my diet. I started using pineapple for flavor and everyone loves them. I put some chopped up pineapple in the egg mix and then after I fill them, I put a little piece on top. That would go good with bacon too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny! When is National Spaghetti Day?
    That's what we're having for supper.

    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw.....the rachel ray technique didn't work!!! I was so disappointed. Another tip I've heard before is that "old" eggs peel better. Buy them 7-10 days before you are going to make deviled eggs. That was the only thing I didn't do this time so maybe that is why they peeled badly.

    ReplyDelete